Stretching and Weight Lifting

I enjoy weight lifting, but I make sure to properly stretch before lifting any weights.  Before I work out my legs, I go through a long leg warm up.  I do a few sitting stretches on the ground.  I also do a walking warm up that involves, lunges, side lunges, quad pulls, karaoke, side shuffles, high knees, and butt kicks.  It is important to make sure your body is loose and ready to lift heavy weights.

Comments

  1. That's awesome that you are knowledgable on how to stretch properly! It is so important that we warm up our muscles before lifting to avoid injury. Your routine is also a really good way to activate those muscles you are going to use so that you get the most out of your lift session. My favorite muscle group to strengthen is arms- what's yours? You'll make a great teacher because you will be able to educate students on proper lifting mechanics so they know how to stretch on their own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your bog. I feel as though many people do not put enough of an emphasis on stretching. Stretching is so important for your body. If your body is not warmed up you are at such a greater risk of hurting yourself. Also many poeple are not aware of the importance of stretching both before and after you workout. The stretch in the beggiing should be much more dynamic and should get your body moving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so great to see that you understand the importance of stretching. Some people neglect to do this and it really hurts them in the end. Thanks for sharing your stretching routine. It's cool to see how others incorporate stretching into their workout routine. Also super cool that you lift weights! You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A proper warm up that touches on all of the PDSI elements is important for sure. They key here, as you have demonstrated, is dynamic stretching. Static stretching before lifting or any workout isn't safe or recommended. I agree with the other comments too. Stretching is frequently neglected in training programs, but it is key to success. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such an important topic to talk about. I think most people don't understand the importance of stretching. I will admit when I was younger I never really stretched before playing in my basketball games and that was a huge mistake. I was playing in one game and felt this pain in my lower back and in the back of my leg, I got it checked out and I pulled a muscle in my leg. After that I realized how important it is to stretch and I do it now before any activity that I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mad-dawg,

    You are 100% correct. It is essential to properly warm up your body before physical activity. This is to reduce the risk of energy and elevate the heart rate to warm the muscles. You want to make sure you focus on dynamic movements, and make sure your warm up is specific to what you are doing. Don't want to pull a hammy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Maddie! I also enjoy weight lifting and I am so glad that your post is about properly warming up and stretching! This is super important and should be talked about much more. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PSAHPERD

About Me

Aquatics